Enabling an "Active" plus "Smart" approach to higher-bandwidth Switch-to-Server Ethernet interconnects and Switch-to-NIC bandwidth utilization
Requirements & Challenges
- At 50 Gbps/lane, passive DAC cables barely meet the 3-meter reach requirement, while experts predict 2-meters may be the practical limit for DACs at 100 Gbps/lane.
- At a typical 26 AWG and 16 twinax pairs per cable, DACs are too rigid, heavy, and bulky, especially when using one ToR for a grouping of 2-3 racks, which restrict airflow and make servicing the rack practically impossible.
- Rate mismatch between NIC (25 or 50 Gbps/lane) and switch (50 or 100 Gbps/lane) leads to wasted switch bandwidth.
- Switch PCB consumes too much of the overall 35-dB end-to-end channel budget, greatly limiting cable reach and increasing diameter.
- DACs and general-purpose Active Electrical Cables (AECs) lack advanced cable and fleet management features essential managing data center infrastructure.
Taurus Smart Cable Module™ (Taurus SCM™) Benefits
- Smart Electrical Cables enabled by Taurus Smart Cable Modules™ provide a thin, flexible cable gauge, higher reliability, and lower-power profiles to meet 3-meter reach requirement — with a side benefit of relaxing the channel design requirements of the switch PCB.
- SECs with Taurus SCMs provide gearboxing capabilities to resolve rate mismatch between NICs and Switches with 50G-to-100G PAM4 & 25G-NRZ-to-50G-PAM4 Aggregation and Disaggregation.
- Taurus SCMs offer system-wide visibility and management features that enable enhanced security, quick debug, and flexible firmware upgrade.
- Taurus SCMs enable a flexible supply chain by qualifying with leading cable assembly suppliers to support multi-sourced cable solutions with a common set of fleet management features.
|Orderable Part Number||Description||Max Data Gen||Cable Line Rate||Mode||Package / Connector||Ordering|
|EM400-QDX||400G QSFP-DD Taurus Smart Cable Module||400G||50G/Lane, 100G/Lane||PAM4||QSFP-DD||Contact Us, https://www.asteralabs.com/product-details/em400-qdx/|
|EM400-EPS||400G OSFP Taurus Smart Cable Module||400G||50G/Lane, 100G/Lane||PAM4||OSFP||Contact Us, https://www.asteralabs.com/product-details/em400-eps/|
|EM800-EPS||800G OSFP Taurus Smart Cable Module||800G||100G/Lane||PAM4||OSFP||Contact Us, https://www.asteralabs.com/product-details/em800-eps/|
|EM800-QDX||800G QSFP-DD Taurus Smart Cable Module||800G||100G/Lane||PAM4||QSFP-DD||Contact Us, https://www.asteralabs.com/product-details/em800-qdx/|
|EM200-QDX||200G QSFP-DD Taurus Smart Cable Module||200G||25G/Lane||NRZ||QSFP-DD||Contact Us, https://www.asteralabs.com/product-details/em200-qdx/|