Astera Labs Inc., a leader in purpose-built connectivity solutions for data-centric systems, is seeking a Sr.
Hardware Engineer in Santa Clara, CA with experience in development and design of circuit boards around
semiconductor products which employ high-speed communication protocols like PCIe, Ethernet, InfiniBand,
DDR, NVMe, USB, etc.
As an Astera Labs Sr. Hardware Engineer, you will be part of a team that designs boards featuring Astera
Labs’ portfolio of connectivity products used in the world’s leading cloud service providers, server and network
OEMs. In this role, you will need to create hardware specifications to showcase cutting-edge SoC performance,
carry board designs from concept through bring-up, and drive innovation by providing insightful feedback to
other internal teams to continuously improve products and processes. There are opportunities to interact with
key customers directly to both solicit form factor input and propose complete board products.
- Strong academic and technical background in electrical engineering. At minimum, a Bachelor’s in EE is
required, Master’s is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in system level board design, from component selection and schematic
capture through board bring-up, debug, optimization, and validation.
- Entrepreneurial, open-minded behavior and can-do attitude. Think and act with the customer in mind!
- A strong background in high-speed board design techniques and methodologies, preferably in the
enterprise and data center system space, such as PCIe add-in cards, servers, JBOGs/JBODs, networking
- Knowledge of schematic capture and PCB layout tools from Cadence, Altium, and others.
- Low/mid-voltage circuit design (48V or 12V/3.3V bus) including DC/DC POL converters, low speed serial
interfaces (I2C, SPI, UART), glue logic, and general analog design.
- Designing systems with high speed NRZ/PAM4 SerDes-based protocols such as PCIe (3.0 and above),
Ethernet (25G and above), etc. and/or memory interfaces such as (LP)DDR4/5.
- Silicon/PCB bring-up and debug experience.
- Working with mechanical and thermal teams to create achievable system design specifications.
- Hardware design around FPGAs and/or MCUs, including pin mapping and evaluation of different SKUs
against a list of hardware requirements.
- Designing complete high-speed channels which may include IC sockets, connectors, and cables.
- Working with silicon characterization/validation teams to ensure device performance is readily
achievable in customer systems.
- Technical writing skills to generate clear, precise documentation such as hardware specifications and
user’s guides for internal and customer-facing audiences.